Even a little consideration on your laundry room design can prove to be extremely useful in increasing the utility of the room.
In addition, it helps create a nice, open and clean environment, thereby making the unavoidable laundry chores less frustrating.
Laundry Room Design Ideas
- Laundry room designs should be practical and aesthetic. Thus, the room should have a wide door and sufficient space to move around. In addition, it is suggested to incorporate colors like sage green or turquoise blue in the room.
- Choose appropriate cabinetry for the room to store all your laundry equipments, supplies and cleaning products. Frosted glass door cabinets, in particular, look aesthetic.
- If the room is large, you can accommodate a broom cabinet and a tall storage cupboard as well for keeping linens, towels, bedding, etc.
- Place pedestals under the washer and dryer to keep them at an ergonomic height. Install thecountertop at waist-height.
- You can keep a coffee table and chair in a large laundry room to make it more comfortable for you. It can be used as a folding counter, sewing table and even as a gift-wrapping station.Here’s a video showing a nice laundry room makeover.
- Making arrangements for adequate lighting is another integral part of designing a laundry room to increase its efficiency. There should be lighting over the sink and particularly dark areas in the room.You can also use task lighting in the form of under-cabinet or flexible track lighting. If possible,install a window in the room to ensure sufficient natural light and ventilation as well.
- When using drying racks in the laundry room, make sure you place them in a suitable area where the dripping water won’t harm any surface.
- It is suggested to install the indoor clothesline or drying rack over the sink or at location where there is linoleum or tile floor. However, it is usually considered better to dry clothes outside in sunlight.
- Besides, you can keep the iron on a wall-mounted shelf followed by a built-in ironing board(preferably with a decorative cover). Plus, there should be space for having a hanging rod to hang freshly ironed clothes.
- Coming to the flooring, choose strong and stain-resistant floor. You can opt for linoleum, hardwood, groutable vinyl tiles, etc. The overall layout of a perfect laundry room should be cozy and comfortable.
- Laundry room accessories and decorations like plants, vases, art work, etc. are also valuable inimproving the laundry room décor. Plus, install a deep, sturdy utility sink prepared from stainless steel or enamel.
- To make the room attractive and inviting, think of an exciting theme for your laundry room design. Use wall paint, curtains (to hide items stored in open shelving units), color of shelves and cabinets as per the theme you decide. For instance, you can pick a vintage,. beach, or simply a color pattern theme like stripes or checks.
A perfect laundry room is one that is located at an appropriate area in your house, on the ground floor, or basement. It can be combined with your bathroom, mud room or utility room.
Alternatively, you can plan to have it near your bedroom to minimize the distance you would cover while carrying loads of dirty clothes to the laundry area.
Besides, perfect laundry room design should be such that it should divide the room in areas dedicated for particular tasks like sorting, cleaning, drying, folding, ironing, etc.
Thus, your laundry room should be practical yet pleasing because are going to spend a good amount of time in this room being engaged in tedious laundry work.
In addition, the room should have laundry supplies like detergent, stain remover, bleach, fabric softener, dryer sheet and color catcher.
Perfect Laundry Room Ideas
- Ideally, a laundry room should be well-organized to make the laundry chore less annoying. It is hard to work in a room full of clutter and clothes spread all over on the floor where you can barely walk.So, begin organizing your laundry room by keeping the dirty clothes in sorting baskets or pull-out bins. In addition, include a box or basket for keeping misplaced items like odd socks, coins, receipts, etc.
- The room would also require effective storage solutions as per your requirements. You can choose to install closed cabinets, cupboards, drawers, wicker baskets, or simple wire shelves hidden by a curtain.The racks, cabinets, etc. should be set up at a convenient height. Remember, beautiful cabinetry can add an aesthetic appeal in a dull, boring laundry room.
- If the room is large, you might like to add closets, broom cabinets, shoe racks or open shelving units, too. Do not forget to place a trash bin.
- Perfect laundry rooms are equipped with natural as well as artificial lighting. Thus, make sure you have adequate task lights and windows in the room.
Besides, you can install motion sensing lighting, especially in a basement laundry room, so that you do not have to search for the switch while carrying laundry clothes in your hands.
- As laundry machines tend to cause noise, you can add extra insulation to the walls and floor for sound proofing.
- An ideal laundry room is likely to incorporate wall-mount stacking solutions so that there is sufficient space to move around. Thus, you can also invest in wall mount drying racks (to be placed over the sink).
- Depending on the space and layout of the room, you can have a fixed or wall-mount ironing center with a hanging rail nearby.
If there is enough space, you can also fit in a table and chair in a corner where you can fold freshly laundered clothes and fix little sewing problems. In case the space is limited, you can perform these tasks at the countertop installed above the washer and dryer.
- Those who spend a considerable amount of time doing laundry can have a television, radio or CD player in the room for entertainment.
- Coming to the floor, choose a strong, durable yet charming material for flooring. You can choose fromhardwood, stained concrete, linoleum, colorful tiles, and so on.Make sure there is a drain in the floor to get rid of water, in case there is an overflow from the washer. You can also place throw rugs on the floor to keep your feet warm.
Check out this video showing laundry room solutions from a customized laundry room setup.
- To make the room more interesting to work in, adorn it with a particular theme in mind and include matching laundry accessories, potting plants, fragrant blossoms, wall clock, art work, sconces, cute toys, decorative Feng Shui objects such as multi-colored crystals, etc.
- Apart from the theme, a perfect laundry room color, like tone-on-tone can help liven up the room without much effort. You can make the room bright and airy by choosing wall paint colors like pale pink, yellow, white, turquoise blue or sage green.
Laundry Room Organizers
Laundry room organizers include items like laundry sorter bins, carts, garment racks, baskets, laundry station, wall mounted collapsible hangers, ironing board holder and iron caddy, etc.
These functional articles have great utility in a laundry room for sorting clothes and storing the various laundry supplies. They are particularly useful for small laundry rooms.
Laundry Room Organizers
Household Essentials 5100 Over-the-Washer Storage Shelf
This over-the-washer storage shelf helps create additional storage space in the laundry room by utilizing the space above the washer. It has a sturdy vinyl coated steel frame measuring 26.5&Prime W x 10&Prime D x 1&Prime H.
It has a white finish and is easy to assemble. You can find this Home Essentials Over-the-Washer Storage Shelf at Amazon at a price of $14.94.
Reviews for Household Essentials 5100 Over-the-Washer Storage Shelf
Review by Susan “scballou” from Atlanta, GA
This shelf is wonderful! It allows one to store all the things one would usually use most frequently close at hand! Personally, mine contains the medium size bottle of liquid Tide, the large bottle of Downy (fabric softener), a large bottle of Clorox, the extra large box of Bounce, a Bleach Pen, another smaller bottle of Clorox and a lingere bag. It definantly holds up to the challege of storing heavy items!!
Review by N. Williams from Texas
I had debated purchasing this shelf for months because I wasn’t sure it would fit the small space between the dryer and the wall or be sturdy enough to hold my laundry items. I’m so glad I finally made the purchase because it works great! I think the key to a sturdy installation is adjusting the long arms so that they grip the machine tightly-all you have to do is bend them towards the machine until you get a snug fit. It holds my 96-load bottle of liquid detergent, large oxy clean bucket and dryer sheet box without any problems and gets all my gear off the dryer top! The product was shipped quickly and arrived without problems.
You can read further reviews for this product at amazon.com.
Over-the-Door Iron Board Holder
Over The Door Iron Board Holder (Model 0751W from Organize It All) can be mounted on a door or wall to conserve space in a small laundry room.
As laundry room organizers are expected to be greatly functional, this iron board holder has multiple compartments to hold the heating iron and a few more laundry supplies. It is available in white epoxy color at a price of $9.70 at Amazon.
Reviews for Over-the-Door Iron Board Holder
Review by M. Spencer “mommerang” from Indianapolis
I love this product. I needed something that would hold not only my iron and ironing board but also my spray starch so this was perfect. I also needed something that was wall mount. There are so many over door types but few wall mount types. This one is versatile because it goes either way… wall mount or over door. I also needed something that would fit in a less than 6 inch deep space and this fit perfectly so it is also a slimline type product. This product fit all my exacting requirements and I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Review by C. Robinson “BayouMommy” from San Diego, CA
What a clever way to free up space in your house. This is an excellent product I didn’t have to use the bolts that came a long or feel uncomfortable that the iron and other accessories weren’t secure. This is an excellent product to display your iron board, iron, spray in a neat clean way.
You can get further details and read more reviews on this over-the-door iron board holder at amazon.com.
Here’s a video ging some laundry room organization ideas.
3 Bag Laundry Sorter Cart with Hanging Bar
This Seville Classics laundry sorter has three canvas bags hanging on plastic hooks. The bags can also be detached separately from chrome plated wire handles.
Moreover, this mobile laundry cart has rolling wheels that lock when required to convert it into a secure work center. It is 30.75” wide, 18” deep and 66” high. You can find this three bag laundry sorter cart at a price of $53.73 instead of $99.99 at Amazon.
Reviews for Seville Classics SHE16165 3-Bag Laundry Sorter Cart With Hanging Bar
Review by L. Nathanson from New Jersey
Bought it for the removable bags and claims of sturdiness. I put it together with the supplied Allen wrench.
A solid, mobile unit. I love it. (The last one that I bought with plastic rods, a different brand, would routinely come apart.) Husband and I use it as a hamper. On wash day, we pull a bag out and take it to the washing machine. Great purchase. Good decision. I recommend it.
Review by Margarita Vidal “amathyst” from nyc
I researched online so many of these laundry sorters and even bought some and eventually returned them because they were not sturdy enough bur finally I bougth the right one! This laundry sorter is very sturdy, the bags are canvas as do not brake like the others and the bottom has a rack to support the bags. I think that for the price this product is very stirdy and can handle heavy clothing. Totally recommend it!
You can read further reviews on this laundry room organizer cart at Amazon.
John Louis Home Standard Closet Shelving System
This John Louis Home Standard Closet Shelving System is one of the most useful laundry room organizers, especially for large laundry rooms or foyer closets. It is a wall-mounted closet shelving system in red mahogany finish.
The garment bars are prepared from solid wood. Plus, there is metal hardware with satin nickel finish. It creates 12-inch deep shelving system that stays well-ventilated because of slated shelves and fits up to a 10-foot closet.
It includes three adjustable 24”W x 12”D shelves, three 72”W x12”D shelves, four angle brackets, five wardrobe bars and nine bar spacers.
You can find this closet shelving system with multiple configuration options at Amazon costing $173.14 instead of $264.99.
Reviews for John Louis Home Standard Closet Shelving System
Review by J. Tam “jeneroo” from Capitola, CA United States
I bought this because it was fairly inexpensive and looks good. After all said and done, it was nice, fairly simple to put together, but there were a lot of pieces left over and I’m left feeling like I paid a bit more than I should have. I have a 6′ wide closet. It’s made for closets that are up to 8′ wide. Maybe they should sell them for 4′, 6′ and 8′ systems separately. I now have several long pieces of wood, shelving and tons of hardware that I don’t need, so it’s a bit of a waste.
Ok, that was my big criticism. Otherwise, it looks very elegant, is sturdy (as long as I installed it correctly!) and I would recommend it.
Review by Tiana M. McElroy
I was looking for something fairly easy that my husband and I could install ourselves. Halfway through the installation process, I found myself wishing that we had hired a professional instead. Nice product, but installation should be left to the professionals.
You can read more reviews on this laundry room organizer at Amazon.
Commercial Laundry Cart
This great laundry cart includes a huge laundry basket, bottom storage shelf and a hanging bar. It has high-grade casters and features quality metal frame with chrome finish. It is available at Amazon costing $59.98.
Reviews for Commercial Laundry Cart
Review by Cindy
I definitely like this cart, it is sturdy and the size fits nicely into my small laundry room. Its so helpful – I use it to go from the bedroom closet hamper to laundry room; then use it to place the folded up and hanging clothes from dryer, then back into bedroom closet. My little doggie likes to ride in it too
Review by Sandra K. Miller (Mississippi)
My master bedroom is a long way from my utility room, so I need a cart like this to take my laundry to and from the washer/dryer. This cart rolls easily – has large wheels – and is easily guided, wheeled to wherever you want it to go. It holds a lot of clothes. After I dry my clothes, I will fold it right from the dryer, placing them in this cart. After the cart s full I will wheel it to the place where they need to go. This method saves a lot of time and simplifies the laundry work considerably. I highly recommend this product – I think this is among the most useful tool I have purchased in a long time!
You can get additional information and read more reviews on this laundry room organizer at amazon.com.
Whitmor 6056-53 Supreme Laundry Cart
This is a durable and light-weight three-tier laundry cart featuring chrome steel construction. The best advantage of having this product is that you can fit it in the empty space beside or in-between the washer and dryer.
In addition, its wheels can be locked when necessary. You can get this Whitmor Supreme Laundry Cart from Amazon. It shall cost $36.88 instead of $50.00 there.
Reviews for Whitmor 6056-53 Supreme Laundry Cart
Review by Blair H. Boysen from Scottsdale, AZ, US
I purchased this to go between my washer and dryer. It is perfect and does exactly what I wanted it to. I thought the price was great too! It is sturdier than ones I had seen at the store
Review by Patricia A. Fields “pafields817&Prime from Clayton, NC
After looking at several dozen reviews of other carts, I found this cart. Unlike the wire or plastic carts this is made of sturdy chrome metal. It goes together very easily (less than 10 minutes). It has wheels that have a stopper. I use it in the laundry room between washer/dryer. I have the giant liquid soap on the top along with several other items. Second shelf holds 3 large bottles of bleach and other spray bottles. Bottom has medium size bottles of Dreft detergent, stain remover, and dryer sheets. The shelves are adjustable making this even more user friendly.
Read further reviews on this product at amazon.com.
These laundry room organizers can be cleverly fitted in limited laundry area to maximize the utility of the space available. Moreover, these items are usually placed in a smart way so as to make them easily accessible.
Going through several laundry room pictures can inspire you to build a fabulous laundry room for your home. You can derive decorative as well as functional ideas for your laundry room simply by studying the décor displayed in these photos.
For instance, a laundry room picture displaying elegant cabinetry can help you select appropriate storage solutions for small and large laundry rooms.
Moreover, laundry room design pictures assist in choosing beautiful themes and styles for your laundry room.
Here are a few laundry room pictures for you to explore
Aesthetic and contemporary laundry room with beautiful red laundry machines.
If you are interested in something more fun and vibrant, consider the laundry room design shown above.
Bright and charming green laundry room
This is a picture of laundry room with an ironing board.
Modern laundry room
This is a picture of a laundry room that is neatly organized. It has a generous sink and lots of space to move around while doing laundry work.
Example of a perfect laundry room utilizing the available space so smartly.
This is a laundry room picture depicting a modern laundry room with a good amount of natural light coming through windows.
This is a simple yet beautiful laundry room. It is an airy room and features fabulous backsplash.
You can also visit other home improvement websites to get ideas for laundry room remodelling and makeover.
While these laundry room pictures can be of great help in letting your creative juices flow, make sure you plan your laundry area keeping practical aspects in mind so that you can perform the laundry chores conveniently.
Best laundry room ideas focus on creating a pleasant and functional area for doing laundry work.
For instance, if the room is small, you can look for ideas to make it appear more spacious by stacking the dryer on top of the washer (front-loading).
Plus, you can utilize the space behind the door for hanging clothes, rubber gloves, etc., so that there is enough space to move around.
In case the room is large, you can include anironing board, sewing machine and even a gift-wrapping station in the same room. Besides, you may combine the room with the bathroom or utility room.
Ideas for Laundry Room Improvement
- Make sure there is sufficient artificial as well as natural lighting in the room. Ideally, your laundry room should have at least one window, preferably near the sink.Moreover, you can install under cabinet lighting. Laundry rooms that are located in the dark basement are can have with motion sensing lights.
- Choose impressive storage solutions in the form of modern, aesthetic overhead cabinets, floor cabinets (preferably with drawers), shelves and cupboards.It adds to the beauty of a laundry room design. The cabinetry material can be wood, metal, veneer or melamine. You can also build wall-mounted pine board shelves.
- Working in an unorganized area is invariably troublesome and time-consuming, not to mention frustrating.Thus, keeping the laundry room clean, organized and de-cluttered is the most important prerequisite for improving a laundry room.Here’s a video giving some easy ideas for organizing a laundry room.